1. Home

Discuss in my forum

What is Carbon Monoxide?

By

Question: What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal as it suffocates a person without warning, being tasteless, odorless and oxygen-depleting. Find out the specifics on carbon monoxide and how to keep from becoming a victim in this informative article.

I've been asked by people if we really need a carbon monoxide detector in our home? I often wonder why everyone doesn't have at least one in their home. After all, it is much like a smoke detector that gives you warning as the fatal inncodent is taking place, giving you ample time to get out of harm's way. So what is carbon monoxide and why should it worry me?

Answer:

What Is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is often called the silent killer. It's not a big, bulky cloud of smoke that you can see. It's not a choking, dirty colored smoke that you can smell. It's not a sweet-, sour-, or bitter-tasting gas. In fact, our highly-sensitive senses cannot detect the colorless, odorless, or tasteless gas that is one of the deadliest threats in our homes. Unlike things like a gas leak, like propane or natural gas, that will likely make your eyes water and nose run, carbon monoxide is nonirritating and therefore gives no warning of its presence. In a few words, the silent killer.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.